Sunday, August 30, 2009

Top of Utah

Headed down to Logan, UT for the Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon. I was a little worried about the down hill course (my knees don't love it), the hot temperature, and the altitude but was willing to give it the old college try. Melissa and I picked up our packets and after driving the course I was feeling much better.


Did not sleep well the night before as I was thinking about the race. Up at 5:00 a.m. and excited to get my run on. Bussed up to the top of Blacksmith Fork Canyon and were ready to go.

The first 7 miles were down the canyon and the wind and slight downgrade were great. Lots of hydration and a packet of GU later I was feeling great as we turned into Hollow Rode. This was pretty much the worst part of the course. Long and boring. Saw the Maverik and knew I was close. Rounded the last corner as my knees started to kill and the blisters on my feet were about to pop. Past mile marker 12 and knew I would make it. Another 1/2 marathon done.

My chest felt a little tight while running, but really no issues with the altitude. The downhill slope was not bad and the overcast weather kept me cool. So there was no need to worry, but it's what I do best.

So fun to run with Mel and Adria. You girls are great running partners. We all run at the same pace and around mile 11 when I wanted to walk so bad, I just kept seeing Adria out the corner of my eye and knew I could do it.

Ran past Mandy, Josh and the boys and was happy to see Amelia, John, Leah, and Cesar at the finish line. It was a fun course and an overall great event. Glad I did it and hope to do it again.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Yay you! I'm so proud of you!!! I told you you'd like the downhill. :)

jami v. said...

you girls are my heros!

Jody and Jake Moore said...

Way to go ladies!!!

Mandy said...

I'm so glad I got to see you..and grab a hug as you ran on by! Maybe next time we'll have time to chat!good job!!!