Sunday, June 28, 2009

1/2 Marathon

I slept for a short 4 hours and was up with the Seattle sun. Steph took Kristen and I downtown to the shuttle bus as the excitement kicked in. It was strange seeing downtown Seattle empty expect for the line that looped around 3 city blocks as people patiently waited to load the bus down to the start line.

The line moved surprisingly fast, but the traffic did NOT! We rushed off the bus, dropped our stuff off, grabbed some food and headed for coral 21. We had joined the 2 hr 22 min pace group and were set to go. They started everyone in waves so at 7:31 am we finally crossed the start line.

The first couple of miles were slow and hectic while people spaced out. We followed our pacer and I was feeling great. The bands were fun and there was some great people watching. We ran through Tukwila to Lake Washington, along the water, up onto I-90, through the I-90 carpool tunnel, through downtown, up onto the Alaskan Viaduct and down to Quest Stadium. It really was a beautiful course.

Things were going well until around mile 7. I was running with Christy and Kristen and we all were struggling to keep up with our pacer. We decided to slow down and run at our own speed. Our goal was to finish so let's enjoy the ride there. The GU around mile 7 was much needed and helped push us through to get our second wind. Passed a beautiful bald eagle, and few more bands and sadly a few more stations without bands playing.

Running through the tunnel might have been my favorite part. You could hear the echo of people running mixed with cheering and the distant sound of a band up ahead. It kind of made me feel like we owned the city for one day. Ran past a few people throwing up over the side of the freeway and a few others laying on the ground with the medics.

While running on the off ramp, there was a good 1/2 on a steeply slanted curve that just about did me in. My ankle started to kill and it felt like the ground would never level out again. It did flatten out and right as we got to downtown I spotted Steph on the side and was so excited. It was just the extra boost I needed to get me through the last few miles.

I started to tear up as we ran through downtown with thousands of people lining the street cheering us on. I was really doing. I was about to finish a 1/2 marathon. 8 months ago I could not even run 1 mile and now I was that person that runs races. I was a runner. I had made it.

The last mile was the longest of my life, but I kept thinking of all the people that were waiting for me at the finish line and all of those that had called/text/emailed me good luck. I knew I could do it.

We rounded the last corner and the finish line was in sight. I turned to tell Kristen we had made it, but as I looked at her I freaked out. She was completely pale. We were so close, but I did not want her to pass out. We were literally 0.1 mile from the finish and luckily I had another packet of GU on me. We finished as I was making her eat it. Everything ended up ok once we got more food in her, but I was really worried there for a minute.

I felt so loved and lucky to have my friends and family waiting for me at the finish line. It was a big day for me and I was glad they shared it with me. While I only got one small blister, my knees and ankles started killing me once I stopped. It was a slow walk back to the car, but I had done it. I had run, without stopping, 13.1 miles in 2.24 hours.







See you next year Seattle Rock n/ Roll 1/2 marathon.

5 comments:

lynsey said...

linds, i got goosebumps and my eyes glazed just reading this! congratulations you rock star. i am so proud of you and you are a total inspiration to me, who is you 8 months ago. i love you!

john and amber said...

That is awesome, Lindsay! That is such a great accomplishment. I got teary just reading your post, and I could totally relate to your feelings.

I remember my first 1/2 marathon in April of '08, it was the best feeling in the world to cross that finish line...and it still was the best feeling crossing it again in '09!

Stephanie K. said...

You are the greatest!! I'm so proud of you!!

Melissa said...

You are a runner! yeah you! maybe i will get back on the wagon and come do it with you next year! that would be fun. I am so proud of you!!!!

Mandy said...

Congrats! I'm so proud of you! I envy those who can run! great job!!!